A 10-Step Guide to Reduce RF Exposure
Follow these simple steps to learn about effective ways to reduce your radiofrequency (RF) exposure, at home and on the go!
- Airplane Mode. Switch devices to airplane mode while sleeping, charging, carrying on your body and when not in use.
- Disable All Wireless Antennas on Your Smartphone. Smartphones have cellular, GPS, Wi-Fi, NFC and Bluetooth antennas. Even after switching to airplane mode, some of these antennas can remain on — ensure that each one is disabled when not in use.
- Power Off. Turn your Wi-Fi router and other devices off at night. Power on only when needed.
- Hardwire Your Connection. Give up Wi-Fi altogether and hardwire your internet connection.
- Distance is Key. Maximize the distance between electronic devices (including your Wi-Fi router) and the body. Do not place your phone on your head, in your pocket, bra, under your pillow or anywhere near your body unless it is powered off or on airplane mode. Use speakerphone or an air tube headset when taking calls, put laptops on a desk rather than your lap and do not put a phone up to a child’s head.
- Time Matters. Limit the time you spend on devices, especially your smartphone. Avoid DECT cordless phones and maintain an “old-fashioned” corded landline in your home.
- Create Wi-Fi Free Zones for Children. Keep all electronic devices including routers, smartphones, tablets, TVs, laptops, gaming consoles and wireless baby monitors (there are wired options available) out of playrooms and children’s bedrooms.
- Unsmart Your Home. Avoid smart home devices, smart cars and smart meters. Ask your utility company about opting out — there are monthly fees associated with this.
- Elevators and Phones Don’t Mix. Do not talk on your phone while in an elevator, car or when the signal is weak. Enclosed metal objects cause cell phones to boost RF transmission power and this increases exposure.
- Measure for Yourself. Invest in a reliable EMF monitor to measure high-exposure areas. Remove these devices from the bedroom or home, turn them off and keep away from heads and bodies.
Sign up for free news and updates from Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. and the Children’s Health Defense. CHD is implementing many strategies, including legal, in an effort to defend the health of our children and obtain justice for those already injured. Your support is essential to CHD’s successful mission.