Miss a day, miss a lot. Subscribe to The Defender's Top News of the Day. It's free.
Children’s Health Defense (CHD) has executive-level positions available now! Read the job descriptions below. Do your skills match? If so, click here to apply.
Director of Finance
- Job type: full-time
- Salary dependent on experience and qualifications
- Remote working environment, prefer East Coast-based
- Benefits include insurance and paid leave
As a key figure in CHD management, the director of finance oversees and manages all accounting and financial analysis duties including providing financial insight and analysis to drive the business performance of the organization. He/she is responsible for ensuring the efficiency of business operations as well as setting strategic financial goals for the future to ensure the sustainable development of CHD and its activities for long-term success.
Summary of responsibilities:
- Oversight of bookkeeping and banking; annual tax return and audit; budgeting; payroll; fundraising donations/expenses reporting.
- Participate in strategic data analysis, research and modeling for senior leadership.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly management budget reports and analysis.
- Make regular financial projections required for the short and long-term financial objectives.
- Prudently make investments on assets, if needed, that maximize returns.
- Understand and calculate the risks involved in the financial activities of the organization.
- Ensure that CHD contracts, insurance/other renewable documents are up-to-date.
- Oversight of CHD Chapter financing, tracking of chapter financial obligations to CHD
- Oversee registration of CHD in every state for tax exemption by outside vendor.
- Oversee work authorization in states where we have employees (and contractors) as outside contractors.
- Ensure compliance with accounting policies and regulatory requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting; CPA a plus.
- 5-8 years of experience in accounting and/or financial analysis. Experience in a non-profit organization is a plus.
- Ability to synthesize large quantities of complex data into actionable information.
- Ability to work and effectively communicate with senior-level partners.
- Proven business judgment, analytical, and decision-making skills.
- Knowledge of financial reporting and data mining tools such as SQL, Access, etc.
- Strong demonstrated use of Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
Director of Marketing
- Job type: Full-time.
- Salary dependent on experience and qualifications.
- Remote working environment, but prefer East Coast-based.
- Benefits include insurance and paid leave.
The director of marketing (DOM) develops, creates and implements marketing plans including goals, strategies, actions, timeline and budget that align with the overall goals for CHD. The DOM provides direction and leadership for CHD’s marketing, and advocacy functions and is accountable for creating and implementing a path for the organization that will inform and influence greater private and public support, funding, and action to advance strategic programs and protection outcomes.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Develop, implement and manage CHD’s annual strategic marketing business plans, budget and messaging components in coordination with the president, executive director, director of media/public relations, CHD’s social media manager, editor-in-chief of The Defender, director of CHD-TV, and director of media/public relations.
- Works with the executive director and director of fundraising to provide the tools, support and action necessary to grow our base of major donors and people of influence.
- Works with chapter coordinator to create materials needed for Chapter development, promotions, etc.
- Plan and organize conference participation and attendance nationwide.
- Oversee creation of online and print collateral material for CHD.
- Supervise CHD’s marketing team.
- Coordinate social media with RFK Jr.’s assistant and The Defender team, marketing efforts with CHD/Skyhorse Publishing liaisons for book releases and marketing efforts for CHD-TV.
- Work with grassroots organizing manager and advocacy liaisons to share best practices with national and chapter communication and marketing advocates.
- Coordinate with the director of digital communications and technology to provide ongoing content oversight and website project management.
- Provide consultation, media training, coaching, and talking points to persons serving as advocates and spokesperson(s).
- Design, direct, and manage multiple complex and diverse marketing programs or projects; coordinate the work of other professional vendors and advocacy organizations; manage marketing budget; and ensure program accountability.
- Monitor CHD Store and coordinate with Director of Digital Communications and Technology to provide and market products, supplies, content, designs and materials for CHD store.
- Provide written monthly updates to Executive Director for Board of Directors.
- Financial responsibility includes developing and managing project and team budget objectives.
- Opportunity to act independently within broad program goals, including commitment of the organization’s resources in a way that affects public image and have program-wide impact.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Minimum).
- Minimum of 10 years professional experience with demonstrated excellence in marketing strategy innovation and project management.
- Experience working for a nonprofit (preferred).
- Proven success with marketing and management of multiple projects and programs.
- Ability to plan and develop campaigns, recruit attendees/viewers/members, and manage speakers and programs.
- Initiative and ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Excellent computer skills and proficient in Microsoft Suite.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Understanding of graphics, media and direct mail a plus.
- Understanding of website content (wireframes) and flow (Landing page to targeted action) from a marketing perspective a plus.
- Financial Management, purchasing and budgeting skills, including selection and management of outside vendors.